[talk-au] More General Observations

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun May 9 10:16:56 BST 2010

On 9 May 2010 19:33, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> Mainly on straight roads.  I know when tracing it can make it easier to do so using lots of nodes but this vandalism was hard to revert because of the number of excess nodes on ways.

I've seen excess nodes created because people convert GPS traces to ways also...

> Use the Simplify Way tool in Josm or the Tidy tool in potlatch before you upload the way.

The downside to this is the simplify function can remove too many
nodes and reduce smoothing where and when it's actually needed.

> Don't have a node <2m away from an intersection, it makes it really hard to determine where the errors are.

JOSM doesn't highlight errors well enough most of the time in my
opinion, I've wasted a fair bit of time trying to track down problems
that turned out to be false positives.

Also when you choose to zoom to a problem, it shows the entire area
instead of zooming to the actual spot where there is a problem.