[talk-au] Wiki + Data Sources + Licensing Categories

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 05:23:01 BST 2011

On 8 April 2011 13:46, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In this case it's pretty straight forward and matches the legal
> rulings almost identically, computer generated lists aren't covered by
> copyright any more, you have to put thought into building such a list
> for it to be covered.

If you are talking about IceTV here, then you misrepresent the
judgement.  The list was covered by copyright, and as much was
conceded by IceTV.  The case turned on what consitituted a substantial
part of the copyrighted work.

If you are talking about Sensis, than that is still a Federal Court
judgement, which I believe Sensis are seeking leave to appeal to the
High Court, and the results will be very interesting to see.  I hope
the High Court takes the opportunity to clarify what it meant in
IceTV.

Again with respect, what you regard as "pretty straight forward", is
about to be litigated by some of the highest paid lawyers in the
country, in front of the highest court in Australia.  Do you think
they would be spending that time and money if they thought that it was
a straightforward area of settled law?

Ian.