[talk-au] ABS [ ODbL data.gov.au permission granted]

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 23:47:53 GMT 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Ben Kelley <ben.kelley at gmail.com> wrote:
> What will get removed? The relations? The ways? The points? I guess this is
> a question bigger than just the ABS data, but given how integrated this
> import is with other data, the impact would be significant.
>
> How on earth would we plan for such removal?
>
> Franc also imported postcode boundaries at the same time as the suburb
> boundaries.

To play Devil's Advocate here, does anyone actually want the suburb
boundaries retained (or reimported)? To me, they've always been a big
pain in the arse - they get in the way when you're trying to map, they
show up in various renderings and add noise, they show up on my GPS
and can be mistaken for roads. And they really don't add a lot of
value - a suburb centrepoint would be just as usual for navigation as
the boundaries, for most uses.

Steve