[talk-au] Residential Roads

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 10:33:07 GMT 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Peter Watson <peter.bmwk75rt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a fairly narrow view on what a residential road is in Aust. 1. Is in
> a built up area or suburb, 2. Has 50km/h or less speed limit. 3. Has house
> blocks on at least one side. I find so many roads in the maps which are out
> of town, have acre blocks or farms on them and have been tagged by the
> maxspeed bot as 50km/h because they have been tagged residential. These
> roads often have speedlimits of 60 or higher. I think these should be tagged
> unclassified. What do other mappers think.

Given the origins of these terms in the UK, I don't we'll ever come up
with a perfect way of applying them here. The term "unclassified" is
problematic for obvious reasons. Ultimately, it will really depend on
how maps etc interpret them.

For what it's worth, the way I use them these days is:
1. Is in a town or suburb
2. Probably has a 60kph or less speed limit
3. Either has houses on it, or is definitely <= 60kph.

So other than 60kph roads, the main difference between your rules and
mine is that I tag roads in industrial areas as residential. I used to
tag them as unclassified, because I couldn't bring myself to call a
road in an industrial area "residential". But now I've switched - I
think "highway=residential" implies low speeds, and
"highway=unclassified" implies higher speeds.

I still hesitate a bit for some country roads that have a few houses,
but not many.


More information about the Talk-au mailing list