[talk-au] Residential Roads

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Sun Dec 11 01:54:26 GMT 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:35:48 +1100
Sam Couter <sam at couter.id.au> wrote:

> Peter Watson <peter.bmwk75rt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I live on a "residential street" that has a 60km/h speed limit and so
> > this street is not tagged as a residential street.
>
> Do you agree that it should be tagged residential despite the 60km/h
> speed limit?

its still a residential street, even with a 60km/h limit

> > It is used as at short cut for people in ajoining suburbs.
>
> So should it be tertiary?

"Rat Run" is a more honest and accurate tag

> > I partly came to this view
> > because rural roads were being wrongly tagged with 50km/h speed limits which
> > they rarely are.
>
> The 50km/h speed limit tag was done by a bot, it's often inaccurate and
> should be disregarded and/or corrected in these cases. Don't let the
> 50km/h tag influence your considerations on whether to tag a road
> residential or not.

GRRRRRR bots, what ever I get involved in some hero bungs in a bot to make arbitrary changes.

> > I have been looking around my suburb but there are no 50km/
> > h signs either so can be tricky to know, especially if tracing.
>
> In the ACT 50km/h is the default if there are no signs. NSW posts "50
> km/h area" signs around the place to cover all roads within that area.
> Not sure about other states that I rarely visit. In any case, you're
> right that it's hard to know without some local presence.

In northern Brisbane I have yet to see anything that shows you are moving into a 50kph default zone.

mick