[talk-au] Re-entering data to avoid licensing failure

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 22:46:01 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Sam Wilson <sam at archives.org.au> wrote:
> I keep well out of the whole legal/political side of OSM usually, but I'd
> just like to ask if I should be doing anything in particular whilst editing
> these days, before the licence change?  I mean, people keep talking about
> deleting and recreating data that's been added by decliners, and it rather
> sounds like a fair bit of work!  If I just carry on as usual, am I making
> more work for everyone later, or is it going to be okay?  I don't
> particularly fancy having piles of my contributions removed because they're
> building on decliners' data!

If you're creating new data, then all will be fine.

If you're modifying existing data, then there are a few possibilities
I know about so far:
1) All the previous editors of that data accepted the CTs, so you'll be fine
2) Some significant editors of that data haven't and won't accept the
CTs, so your work will be wasted
3) Some editors of that data haven't accepted the CTs, but their work
can be removed without destroying the rest.

The major, painful example of type 3) is John Smith's mass
"maxspeed=50" edit, which touched tens of thousands of streets. And
then he refused to accept the CTs, leaving a lot of streets in this
complicated state.

Short answer: it may be ok, or your work may be wasted, or you may be
creating more work. Everything is possible!

Steve