[talk-au] Removing ABS data

Sam Wilson sam at archives.org.au
Thu Dec 29 00:37:30 GMT 2011

On Mon, December 26, 2011 9:03 pm, Nick Hocking wrote:
> Since the ABS boundary data has to be removed anyway, does anyone see any
> problem with doing it now (in bits and pieces).
>
> Doing so would make the job of remapping the tainted data a lot easier.
>
> Alternativelt, it would be really beneficial if the DWG removed all the ABS
> data right now. (leaving any nodes that some people may have
> glued to real objects. These node would be taken care of individually.
>
> Nick

Is it necessary to remove that data now, before the big change-over date?

  1. Is there not still a chance that people who have declined the new licence
will change their minds, and accept?
  2. Surely there's some magic in the works, that is going to swiftly and
completely remove the non-compliant data for us?

Well, perhaps only the latter.  I haven't read anything very specific about
what's going to happen in April (that's when it is, isn't it?) with regards to
exactly what's going to be deleted.  But I can't imagine that it's going to be
left up to manual processes.

So I'm not deleting anything much yet, unless there's some data right in my
way... which there isn't, because I've got the ABS data turned off in JOSM and
anyway I'm trying to only add new data until all this silliness is resolved.
;-)

- Sam.