[talk-au] highway shields: AU

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jan 4 02:34:27 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:02 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 January 2011 06:15, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
>> To make these work well globally, the network tag should be namespaced
>> with the country and if needed, the state / province.  I've added the
>> "AU_" prefix to the Australian shields in the wiki link above.  If you
>> have a more thorough discussion of the AU network tag please point me
>> to it.
>
> Why do you need to do this when there is country boundaries to use?

Two reasons, so far.  We have found highways maintained outside the
border of the expected jurisdiction.  So a NY shield is required in
Pennsylvania.  But mostly because we have to describe the shield in
the context of a file system, as well, to find the shield images.
Finding the M shield is easier when we know if it should be the AU_M,
UK_M or another.

> If you must add something like this do it in post processing...

We're not describing the jurisdiction, but the network, or essentially
the shield background image.  It can't always be extracted from the
location.