[talk-au] Fwd: [Tagging] tagging world heritage (UNESCO) and other protected areas/features

James Livingston lists at sunsetutopia.com
Thu Jan 13 05:28:46 GMT 2011

On 12/01/2011, at 2:48 AM, John Smith wrote:
> Martin, for your information there was a bit of work done on this sort
> of thing in the past for Aussie parks covered by this, based on data
> from http://data.australia.gov.au I think.

I uploaded the dataset I think you're referring to, after discussing tagging on talk-au.

> From: M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> 3.
> The most universal feature is IMHO this:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area
>
> allowing for cultural, natural and other protection types. A problem
> might arise if a feature is at the same time protected for different
> reasons.

That sort of what I used, though it's changed a bit since then. There's also problem of marking it boundary=protected_area and boundary=national_park at the same time.

Some examples:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/46152942 (Fraser Island)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/361693 (Gondwana Rainforests)

At the time I don't think I knew about protect_id, but I used that later on National Parks.

--
James