[talk-au] Aligning admin boundaries (including those resulting from ABS 2006 imported data) to coastline..

4x4falcon info at 4x4falcon.com
Fri Jan 21 00:11:25 GMT 2011

> Can we can just confine the discussion to coastline then?  As you say,
> there is unlikely to be a definitive answer for other boundaries, but
> the coast is the coast, yes?
>
> Steve Bennett proposed the five options..
>
> 1) Administrative boundaries are as imported, and will randomly
> criss-cross the coastline (current situation)
> 2) Admin boundaries are on the same way as the coastline
> (natural=coastline;boundary=administrative;admin_level=8...)
> 3) Admin boundaries are colinear with the coastline, but on a
> different way (natural=coastline, than a separate, colinear way with
> boundary=administrative;admin_level=8...)
> 4) Admin boundaries are parallel with the coastline, inside it. (How far?)
> 5) Admin boundaries are parallel with the coastline, outside it. (How far?)
>
>> Renders be buggered. They can/should be
>> fixed, our aim is data capture not pretty-printing, YES?
>
> So you would discount options 4 and 5 on that basis?
>
> Would you then support option 3?

Problem with option 3 is that if nodes are the same you end up with a
major duplicate node issue and if it comes to editing either then
newbies tend to get it wrong.  If the nodes are joined then you end up
with a duplicate way issue.

I support 1 in that that's the imported data but would agree to 4 with
the nodes spaced so that they can easily be discerned in josm.

They only need to be beside each other not massive distances away, this
is also easy to do using copy and paste in josm.

Cheers
Ross