[talk-au] Aligning admin boundaries (including those resulting from ABS 2006 imported data) to coastline..

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 05:03:40 GMT 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM, 4x4falcon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> Problem with option 3 is that if nodes are the same you end up with a major
> duplicate node issue and if it comes to editing either then newbies tend to
> get it wrong.  If the nodes are joined then you end up with a duplicate way
> issue.

I was assuming the nodes are joined. In what way are co-linear
("duplicate") ways an "issue"? I wasn't aware there were any problems
with the practice?

And I wouldn't describe two partially co-linear ways as duplicate,
especially if they have different tags as in this case.

> They only need to be beside each other not massive distances away, this is
> also easy to do using copy and paste in josm.

I'm not familiar with JOSM's editing, but I was thinking of Potlatch's
"parallel ways" tool. If you just copy and paste a wiggly line at an
offset, it will intersect with the original. Potlatch's tool actually
shrinks the "inside" way so that doesn't happen.

Steve