[talk-au] Victorian Coastline

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 11:17:59 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM, 4x4falcon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> So your mapping for the renderer.

I'm mapping for renderers, yes.

Why, what are *you* mapping for?

> Is it colinear or close nodes, without looking at in an editor?
>
> If you look in an editor such as josm you will see that its two separate
> ways with the nodes on the boundary varying between 1 and 3 metres away from
> the road nodes.  You don't need to make the ways colinear for it to appear
> so on the rendered map.  If they are parallel with the nodes within a metre
> of each other then it will appear colinear on the map.
>
> If they were put side by side ie like this =:= less than a metre apart there
> is no difference to rendering but you then have an easy means to select
> either way in any editor and the easier it is to add something, or modify
> something then more people will do so.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I think you're
overstating the difficulty of working with co-linear ways. In
Potlatch, click a node. Press /. If you want the other way, press /
again.

One thing I just thought of with co-linear ways though is people might
end up making junctions with the wrong way.

Note to self: add feature to hide and render unselectable all admin=boundary.

> Need to move the ways because the coastline has changed, then select both
> nodes and drag them to the new position.

What's the advantage?

Here's what I'm thinking now:

Coastlines: option 2 or 3
Other boundaries: option 4 or 5