[talk-au] JOSM filtering image/map tile URLs

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Mon Jan 31 12:27:46 GMT 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 11:26 -0500, Richard Weait wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 8:51 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was sent a link to this thread on the JOSM dev mailing list:
> >
> > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/josm-dev/2011-January/005185.html
> >
> > The jist is some people are pushing to put URL filtering into JOSM,
> > currently the discussion is focused on Google images/tiles however it
> > wouldn't take much of a leap for things to also block Nearmap URLs
> > since those pushing for this change seem to want to make JOSM
> > difficult to use for anything but OSM allowed sources.
> >
> > Thankfully the main author of the software seems to want a more
> > general editor, not just one that works with OSM specific APIs etc.
>
> You aren't addressing the core question.  "Given that the new imagery
> plugin has made it much simpler to accidentally infringe, is a URL
> blacklist a suitable way to raise that barrier closer to where it was
> a few weeks ago?"

Exactly that is the core question.  Why wasnt that question asked of the
community before the change was made?  It seems they dont even
understand what the whole 'community' usage of their app even is, given
their surprise when objections were raised and other alternatives
suggested, such as flagging edits made when a certain background is
used, and issuing warnings instead of simply blacklisting.

> Why not participate in the conversation?

Im not subscribed to the JOSM dev mailing list.  I guess we should we
happy that it was even announced anywhere, but unless John Smith had
posted the above link how many of us would have been aware of the
changes in the software?

I dont think anyone objects to raising barriers to block google images
for tracing, as a specific case.  If the code was changed to block
'google' then thats one thing, but for the code to be changed to
download/use an arbitrary blocklist which (presumably?) can change at
any time a handful of people dont like what youre doing.

I think what they have a problem with is that its so open-ended, like we
just have to trust the OSMF because they'll do no wrong.  Hang on a
second, this is sounding vaguely like some heated discussions from a few
months back.

David