[talk-au] Statement from nearmap.com regarding submission of derived works from PhotoMaps to OpenStreetMap

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Fri Jun 17 05:33:13 BST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 14:21 +1000, Nick Hocking wrote:
> Ben said,
>
> "I say again: that's exactly what it was intended to achive
> and it was written by our lawyers to do just that. :)"
>
> Thanks Ben,
> That makes it crystal clear that nearmappers can accept the CT's.

Well, mappers who exclusively used nearmap anyway.  Unfortunately, as
Ben has pointed out many times, the problem isnt that NearMaps terms
have created a problem, it is the fact that the new OSM terms are
incompatible with the licence most commonly used for this information.

While its great that NearMap sourced data can be used, this doesnt mean
the incompatibility problems of other data sources are no longer
relevant.  CC-by-SA data continues to be incompatible with the new
terms, and that is not the fault of people who have given their data to
be used in the OSM project.

David