[talk-au] Princes Highway (Relation 538443)

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Tue Sep 6 04:21:20 BST 2011

On 06/09/11 10:50, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> On 6 September 2011 07:13, Ben Kelley <ben.kelley at gmail.com
> <mailto:ben.kelley at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     In general I think it is common that a highway has a different name
>     when it goes through a town. Here the route continues, and will
>     often be signposted with the route number.
>

> So best to use the route number to define a route when it exists, rather
> than a road name 'route', yes?

No.  The route is still the Princes Highway as per here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Route_Numbers

>     I'm not sure if that is the case for every road in this relation though.
>

> The Princes Hwy used to run through the town centre as the main road.
> The through route gets diverted around town to different road.  Some
> time later the road running through centre of town gets assigned a
> different name (or made into pedestrian mall, one way, etc).  The
> Princes Hwy road name no longer exists.  It is apparent where the
> through route is, tagged with the route number.  When the name and
> topology of the road has changed, I don't know how you can definitively
> tell where this "Princes Highway Route", should go, it is fairly arbitrary.

Then the new route should be added to the relation and the old route
ways removed.

As Steve pointed out the relation should one from Adelaide to Sydney as
that's where the Princes Highway runs although many different road names
make up that highway.  Just as many different road names make up the
route relation for highway 1.

Cheers
Ross