[talk-au] Princes Highway (Relation 538443)

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 04:43:00 BST 2011

On 6 September 2011 13:21, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

> No.  The route is still the Princes Highway as per here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/**wiki/Australian_Tagging_**
> Guidelines#Route_Numbers<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Route_Numbers>

How do I tell where this named route goes?  I've read the Australian tagging
guidelines, but they seem to be quite at odds with the recommendations for
using the relation elsewhere.  Is there anywhere other than Australia where
we attach a road name to a road named differently road?

Then the new route should be added to the relation and the old route ways
> removed.
>
> As Steve pointed out the relation should one from Adelaide to Sydney as
> that's where the Princes Highway runs although many different road names
> make up that highway.  Just as many different road names make up the route
> relation for highway 1.

But what is the new route, and what is the old route?  If we can't answer
this question, then we can't map it.

In Wollongong, you have the RTA official Princes Hwy route taking Bellambi
Lane and the Northern Distributor, while the parallel road is named, the
Princes Highway, Flinders St, Crown St.  Where does the Princes Hwy route
go?

In Victoria you have the Princes Fwy, in some instances the Princes Highway
runs next to it.  The Princes Hwy in some sections isn't even a through
route.  Where does the Princes Hwy route go?

In Sutherland you have the Sutherland Bypass on Acacia Rd, (Route MR1), the
old Princes Hwy goes into Sutherland, and then stops.  Where does the
Princes Hwy route go?

Do you see the problem?  If we aren't mapping what is on the ground, what
are we mapping?  Who makes the decision, and how to we arbitrate.  Not
mapping what is verifiable on the ground is a radical departure for OSM, and
we need to think this through again.

Ian.