[talk-au] import of state borders?

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:06:21 BST 2012

Michael wrote

 "When doing so I've noticed that most of the state and territory borders
are gone. I could already reconstruct the straight parts from remaining
segments and nodes."

Hi Michael,

Years ago I surveyed some points on the Black Allen line for OSM (NSW VIC
border).  At that time the border on OSM was about 100 yards wrong due to
OSM using straight lines between two points rather than a segment of a
great circle.

I corrected these points but since then I think that someone replaced my
work with imported ABS data which was in incorrect positions has since been
redacted anyway.
The straigh lines there now are pretty good but in places are about 30
metres off.  I'll use my original GPS traces to tweak a few of the points
and if necessary I'll resurvey the other points.

Similarly, I surveyed a few points of the straight ACT border. When a new
version of this border comes back, I'll recheck it and tweak as necessary.

Cheers (and thanks for your efforts)
Nick