[talk-au] When is a road a cycle route?

Ben Kelley ben.kelley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 00:58:39 GMT 2012

Hi.

I think this one is an edge case. I know the sign Ian means, and in my
judgement it does not indicate a route.

I think the more common case (that is currently not well defined) is where
some other map indicates a route, but there is nothing on the ground to
show it. If we map it in OSM, are we copying the map, or mapping a known
fact (but one that is only known from the other map)?

Apart from copyright (which is significant here) part of the problem is
government bodies (local and state) mapping "optimistically" in that they
plan to mark out a route in some way, but didn't actually do it. In general
I would say that "map only" routes are not routes in the OSM sense.
Possibly they are suggestions.

I think we should not map such routes in OSM due to the copyright issue
alone, but at what point does the existence of the map imply the existence
of the route?

  - Ben Kelley.