[talk-au] cities changed to towns

Chris Barham cbarham at pobox.com
Tue Dec 11 09:10:28 GMT 2012

Hi
I disagree, I believe the greater than 100,000 test is not applicable
within Australia.

OSM Wiki says a city is:
The largest urban settlements in the territory, normally including the
national, state and provincial capitals. These are defined by charter or
other governmental designation in some territories and are a matter of
judgement in others. Should normally have a population of at least 100,000
people and be larger than nearby townsAll of these apply to those places
previously mentioned : 1) largest urban settlements in the territory 2)
defined by charter 3) larger than nearby towns.  The one 'rule' that these
places fail is >100,000 inhabitants - however the wiki guide text is
prefaced by the word 'normally'.  Taken with the Australian tagging rules
page that says you may 'promote' regional centres, I think it is fair to
tag these as cities.

Chas

----
cbarham at pobox.com