[talk-au] cities changed to towns

Alex Sims alex at softgrow.com
Tue Dec 11 08:31:01 GMT 2012

On 11/12/2012 6:06 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:
> Ok, but I don't think we should get hung up on the coincidence between
> the Australian official meaning of "city" and the tag "place=city".
> (By coincidence, I mean, if we happened to speak some other language,
> obviously there'd be no official designation of "city".)
>
> So...what do we want place=city to refer to?
I would want "place=city" to refer to an urban populated area of at
least 100,000 people as per
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place#Values

I've taken to fixing errors from Geofabrik OSMI and have changed places
to match the schema above. Whilst I find hamlet & village grate on me as
words, they are merely "code" for an object to be mapped. It's only
really issue because I speak English (Australian) and the OSM schema was
developed in English (United Kingdom) that there is an issue. If we all
spoke Finnish or Swahili we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

Alex