[talk-au] Australia Postcodes - using AusPost database

Darren Burt burt.darren at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 06:19:28 GMT 2012

Well, after more digging, seems I had overlooked the obvious, which I
think you were assuming I already had found

We already have permission from ABS data.gov.au
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Kosmos_postal_code_rendering_rules/au#Postal_Codes>
to use their geo data for postcodes etc. Excellent!

 From what I can gather, the permission was granted late 2011, and on
the wiki it says "The process to replace the suburb boundaries is still
under discussion no the Australian mailing list".

So, I'm wondering what the discussion is? Can I help?

db

On 22/12/12 08:11, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> On 21/12/12 21:41, Darren Burt wrote:
>> That looks better to me for the streets I'm familiar with. Eg if you
>> search for Gloucester Ave
>> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-33.766784&lon=151.124839&zoom=18>
>> (which is down southerly end) at OSM, it shows as Macquarie Park 2113 in
>> the search results. On your map it shows as 2073 which is correct.
> As I suspected, I don't think OpenStreetMap contains the postcode
> boundaries in this area. I couldn't find them.
>
> Which begs the question, where does Nominatim get the postcode from?
My assumption was that there was some algorithm that simply looked for
the closest postcode that was available, and that was 2113. And then it
looked for the closest suburb with 2113 postcode, and that was Macquarie
Park.

But I didn't look to verify this.