[talk-au] [OSM Fork] Geoscience Australia Gazetteer 2010

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:46:38 GMT 2012

On 22 February 2012 09:15, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wish I had looked into this more or at least this was raised when
> I asked the list previously about the work I did extracting data from
> government maps >50yrs old but only scanned recently.

It would be nice if we had a policy position on it.  I've certainly seen
scans on Wikipedia that have been copied directly from the library sites in
direct contravention of the policies on the web pages themselves, I guess
under the banner of the WMF policy you state people feel free to ignore the
legals on the page.

Personally, I really doubt the libraries would care at all with the
out-of-copyright work being used for reference. However, in order to
republish their maps, I'm sure they expect permission to be applied for.
I'm not sure whether these sort of applications are approved as a matter of
course, or whether a fee or other restrictions are imposed.  Maybe they
just want attribution, who knows..

As to whether they have the legal right to impose such conditions, who
knows.  It is definitely a grey area, but if it was conclusive that they
couldn't, they I wouldn't have thought they would try.

Ian.