[talk-au] Mass revert now??

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 22:22:55 GMT 2012

On 6 January 2012 04:42, Michael Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> I looked at doing a revert for the street where I lived but found that
> just one "Fixed Stuff" changeset was affecting 12,576 different ways! So as
> I might affect other folks, I abandoned the idea for now. Remapping is
> pointless until I can get my original contributions back. Also, I cannot
> visualise areas of  real issues, (OSM Inspector, see bottom), because of a
> huge number of very trivial changes that can easily be got rid of. I guess
> a lot of  other folk are in the same position.

Yes, they are...

> I see a number of options to explore for technical doability.
>
> 1) Just roll back the last edits of anyone who has specifically declined.

Yes!  If there is an object that has been modified by a decliner, and it is
technically feasible to remove that mod, then lets do this now.  It really
saves time in continuing to edit, and reduces the risk that uninvolved
people are out there modifying data that will now be lost that could be
saved.

> 2) Do the full clean now instead of March. This has the drawback that it
> sweeps away folks who may still say yes. There are about 60 folks who have
> created more than 1,000 nodes who have not yet responded.

This will happen in due course, and I can't see the benefit in having huge
blank spaces on the map any sooner than we need to.

As I and others have been saying for a while, we need manual tools to
remove and rollback decliners edits from the object's history before this
happens automatically.  Being able to manually control the process that
will happen in April automatically for single objects or small areas will
make the process significantly more manageable.  Reinstating old revisions
and suppressing newer ones is a very painful process working with tools
that are all designed to retain data we now have to remove or replace.

Ian.