[talk-au] [sharedmapau] Re: Mass revert now??

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Tue Jan 10 09:13:48 GMT 2012

Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yep, there's no question whatsoever that "I" (meaning OSMF) have
> behaved like a complete dick. Now, do we continue this game of "well,
> you behaved like a dick, so I'm going to behave like a dick", or do we
> take the higher moral ground of "well, you behaved like a dick, but I
> joined this project for the good of the greater community, and I'm not
> going to let my hurt feelings get in the way of that".

This is a false dichotomy. There is at least one more perspective: "you"
(meaning OSMF and OSM contributors) suck it up and deal with the
consequences of your actions. What's happening now was predicted way
back, and I know "I told you so" doesn't actually help anybody, but it
does mean it's unreasonable for you to act all surprised and offended
about what's going on. There's really no point in either side whinging
because I don't think anything is going to change.

> What's more important - the ideological dispute with OSMF, or building
> an awesome map database?

I don't think it's that simple. If it were I'd contribute corrections
and such to Google's maps.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au