[talk-au] 1st few silly question

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Wed Jan 25 12:17:59 GMT 2012

On 25/01/12 19:14, Don Thomas wrote:
> 1/ In our area there are a number of small sections of road subject to
> flooding, generally they are at small bridges/ causeways and the like. I
> can't work out how they should be marked, can some one advice me please?

Are these fords or just sections of road subject to flooding.  If fords 
then ford=yes on the road section, split it where it starts and ends, 
or water intersection node.

> 2/ I have seen in the guide about rural addressing but can't see any
> examples in the maps. Is no one bothering with setting up rural
> addressing? I actually can't work out about the tagging to set the start
> end, which is why I was looking for examples.

I know what the guide says but any I've done have been from imagery and 
survey and added as all other addressing eg.

addr: ...etc

See here:


the 1681, 1697 and 1742 are all rural address.

As the section on the wiki says the relation metho will not render.

> 3/ I saw stuff somewhere about gates etc, but now can't find it and I
> want to know how to tag stock grids, how?


> 4/ Is it correct that you have to 'trace' over your GPS trace in order
> to form a way in potlatch 1.4? Do you have to do that in other editors,
> potlatch2 ran so slow for me its use was not feasible, I notice there
> are other editors that can be downloaded and run locally, are they a
> better option?

Not in josm as you can convert to data layer and then simplify.  However 
don't forget that your gps trace may not signify the center of the way. 
  Really need one each direction for each two way road or as I do.  The 
gps aerial is at the very righthand side of the vehicle and I drive as 
close to the center of the road as practicable.  If not able then use 
the trace to align imagery and then use that to trace.


More information about the Talk-au mailing list