[talk-au] The MEM project

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Thu Jul 19 11:21:34 BST 2012

On 19/07/12 20:01, Brett Russell wrote:

> Ok, it has mountains at 300 metre zoom level along with walking
> tracks but given that cyclemaps is for a peddle powered adventurer I
> am not surprise.  Ok next step getting mountains to appear at higher
> levels along with tracks.  So thanks John for the clues on doing
> that.  Now just have to figure it out how.

Aside from "resolution", also look at "level", on this site:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/style_rules

I'd also forgotten that my 60CSx Garmin gives some control over the
level of detail shown.  On my menu system it's under:

"Menu", "Setup", "Map", "General", "Detail".

> Also rather puzzled by the size limits of mkgmap.  Garmin will
> support IMG files up to 4Gb (must be FAT limit) so the limitation
> must be with mkgmap.  I would dearly like to get all of Tassie on one
> IMG file.

You need to pass big OSM files through the splitter, and let mkgmap
combine the resultant parts into the single image file.

John