[talk-au] Redaction progress

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 05:03:46 BST 2012

On 20 July 2012 12:42, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

> Bing is suitable in some areas but absolutely useless in others.
>
> And even where it is suitable it can be up to 100m out.

Hi Ross,

We can use the imagery for areas and tasks for which it is suitable, and
use other methods available to us where it is not.  Same as we always
have.  The unsuitability of Bing in some areas shouldn't stop us using it
where it is suitable.

Combination of Bing and AGRI I find is often much better for some regional
features than Nearmap/Yahoo.  The Bing coverage is extensive, and
occasionally hires and accurate in the most surprising places.

For mapping features around the city suburbs, the Nearmap hires and
accurate cloudfree imagery is always superior to Bing, but again there are
some suburbs that have very accurate Bing imagery as well.  Unfortunately,
the OSM project can't use the Nearmap imagery any longer, so we work with
what we have.  It is a shame for the wider community that Nearmap seems to
be moving towards a fee for use model.  It is also a shame that the Bing
imagery use is limited to OSM only.

We should always start suspicious of Bing accuracy until we can verify or
align it, and therefore hopefully not end up mapping features 100m from
where they are.  Most experienced OSMers are aware of these issues.

Ian.