[talk-au] Redaction progress

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 07:19:41 BST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's give it a few days, and come to terms with the effort we're facing and
> the kind of changes required before deciding the response we need.  I'm not
> convinced that having features drawn in without local knowledge or survey is
> the necessarily the best way forward - especially in areas where we have
> local contributors and knowledge of the areas requiring remapping.  So many
> private roads, farm trails, gates, fences, etc.
>
> However, I'd renew the call for experienced overseas armchair OSMers to take
> a look around and help in ways that don't require local knowledge.  Lots of
> split objects, deformed coastline, waterways and other ways where nodes have
> been removed, etc, that anyone who would like to adopt an area can find
> easily and fix.

IMHO it would be very beneficial to have overseas armchair mappers in
whatever capacity they like. There are so many little roads around the
place - I'd much rather have them mapped, with some inaccuracies (eg,
access permissions wrong), than not mapped at all. Hell, most of my
mapping is of this nature - parts of regional Victoria that I haven't
visited, but am just mapping from the air. We don't have the resources
to be picky. People with local knowledge can always do a second pass
and add those fine details like gates, distinctions between public and
private roads, street names etc.

I don't know anything about HOT - but however people are rallied, we'd
be grateful.

Also, FWIW, the Bing imagery is generally great - I've certainly not
seen anything like a 100m discrepancy. Wherever I have a GPS trace,
it's always aligned very well with the Bing imagery. IMHO (possibly in
the minority) even mapping based on misaligned imagery isn't a major
problem. What's worse - a town that is perfectly mapped but 100m, or
the same town not mapped at all?

Steve