[talk-au] Redaction progress

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Jul 20 09:33:30 BST 2012

Am 20.07.2012 10:17, schrieb Ian Sergeant:
> On 20 July 2012 16:19, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com
> <mailto:stevagewp at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     IMHO it would be very beneficial to have overseas armchair mappers in
>     whatever capacity they like. There are so many little roads around the
>     place - I'd much rather have them mapped, with some inaccuracies (eg,
>     access permissions wrong), than not mapped at all.
>

> We're not going to agree on the survey vs aerial thing today. We
> haven't for the last however many years.  My opinion is being routed
> down an impassable or non-existent  road is an order of magnitude
> worse than being sent on a longer route due to a road being absent.

I would tend to agree, but on the other hand from a pure volume (not
importance) point of view I suspect that a very very large part of the
damage are residential roads with essentially no danger of being routed
to nirwana.

> I would, however, make the point to those willing to help, that from
> my initial scans there is so much to do that doesn't require any
> semblance of local knowledge.  There are lots and lots of sections of
> coastline missing for starters.  Hundreds of broken islands.  Roads
> that are missing nodes travelling way off their path.  Roads under
> lakes and waterways.  Railway station names.  Place names.  Split
> ways.  Roundabouts. Missing and incomplete waterways and lakes.   I've
> hours already working on stuff that doesn't require any local
> knowledge, and I haven't made a tiny dent.

There is no reason such stuff can't be farmed out to interested mappers.
I have a server on order that will be ready in a couple of hours. I
suspect that I'll have the tasking manager running early this evening CEST.

Simon