[talk-au] Redaction progress

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jul 20 12:21:38 BST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO it would be very beneficial to have overseas armchair mappers in
> whatever capacity they like.

[ ... ]

You'll find enthusiastic mappers from abroad to help out.

> I don't know anything about HOT - but however people are rallied, we'd
> be grateful.

The HOT tasking server, aiui, helps with dividing up areas of
interest.  So while redaction remapping isn't exactly a typical HOT
task, they have tools that might be an interesting addition to the
tool belt.

Rallying can be as simple as sending a post to talk@, or a message on
IRC #osm.  I see that a post has already been sent to talk-gb@ asking
for armchair mappers to help out in AU and to keep an eye on this
list.

> Also, FWIW, the Bing imagery is generally great - I've certainly not
> seen anything like a 100m discrepancy.

[ ... ]

> What's worse - a town that is perfectly mapped but 100m, or
> the same town not mapped at all?

Well, this is OSM, so there will be well reasoned arguments for both
of the alternatives that you present and several that we haven't
imagined.  :-)

Best regards and happy mapping,
Richard