[talk-au] Question about relations

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Jul 25 07:38:47 BST 2012

Adrian Plaskitt wrote:
> My specific question is, when the route passes down only part of a
> way, say just a few blocks of a longer street, how do you assign the
> relation to just a few internodes. Is it necessary to split the ways
> at the nodes and then just assign the relation to the segments
> between, or is it necessary to create a new way over the top which is
> just the walking route, or is there some method that is simpler that I
> have failed to appreciate.

I'd split the way, like this:

Here the end of "Mandalay Beach Road" has been split and the part of the
road that belongs to the walking route has been added to the walking
route relation ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/400098 in
this case).

The result looks like this on a map designed to show long distance
hiking routes:

http://hiking.lonvia.de/en/?zoom=17&lat=-35.00144&lon=116.53484

Cheers,
Andy