[talk-au] New Australian Aerial Imagery

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 02:18:33 GMT 2012

On 11/03/12 11:58, Grant Slater wrote:
> Talk-au,
>
> I am pleased to introduce new grayscale imagery for all of Australia
> at 2.5 metre resolution.

I didn't realise it had so much cloud cover. That is a pity but at least
there are still large areas cloud free.

On the whole though it gives mostly consistent coverage across the whole
of Australia (quite a large area!) which hopefully will help out rural
mapping.

> “The Australian Geographic Reference Image” is produced by Geoscience
> Australia and made available under Australian Creative Commons
> Attribution 2.5.
>
> http://agri.openstreetmap.org/
>
> JOSM tms url: tms:http://agri.openstreetmap.org/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png

framm has added it to the default JOSM list, so you can just refresh the
default sources and you should see it added to the list.

> Recommended source tag: source=AGRI

> Geoscience Australia’s IP and Copyright Manager has confirmed that the
> attribution requirement does NOT carry through to tracings derived
> from the aerial imagery.
> Quote: “The attribution requirement does not have to carry through to
> the tracings from the aerial imagery.” - IP and Copyright Manager,
> Geoscience Australia

That is an unexpected bonus. I knew we would have to attribute the
imagery, but being able to trace and release those tracings under CC0 is
even better.

> The service is very much in beta at the moment and may go offline for
> testing and revision at times. It will also likely take me a few weeks
> to fix the black overlap issues. I’ll also make the 2950GB of source
> imagery files available once I have worked out a suitable hosting
> arrangement.

It is good that you think you can actually fix the black parts near the
MGA zone boundaries.

> Thank you to:
> - Andrew Harvey for pointing out that the imagery was available:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2012-February/008919.html
> - OSMF for supplying hardware + funding for the purchase of the imagery.
> - Geoscience Australia

Thanks Grant for actually following through and getting the imagery
hosted as usable tiles.