[talk-au] Talk-au Digest, Vol 65, Issue 14

rednorth@gmail.com rednorth at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 12:26:10 GMT 2012


Hi Russell,

Thanks for pulling me up :)

I think RACQ's site may have routes that are not officially signposted, numbered tourist drives. They do, however, use the brown symbol on their maps. 

Since these tourist drives are signposted everywhere though it stands to reason that a national dataset of it should exist.

It's a form of heritage, in a way. It's a nice example of non functional fixedness and I want OSM to reflect that our roads can be used for enjoyment, happiness and beauty as much as transport.

I suppose the spirit of that means there are no official tourist drives, we can feel free to indicate our own scenic routes for others.

Wil

Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
From: talk-au-request at openstreetmap.org
To: <talk-au at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Talk-au Digest, Vol 65, Issue 14
Date: Thu, Nov 8, 2012 10:00 pm


Send Talk-au mailing list submissions to
	talk-au at openstreetmap.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	talk-au-request at openstreetmap.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	talk-au-owner at openstreetmap.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Talk-au digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: scenic routes (David Bannon)
   2. Re: scenic routes (Russell Edwards)
   3. Re: scenic routes (Ian Sergeant)
   4. Re: scenic routes (wil ly)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:06:08 +1100
From: David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net>
To: Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com>
Cc: wil ly <rednorth at gmail.com>, talk-au at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [talk-au] scenic routes
Message-ID: <1352333168.2227.11.camel at Davo-LT>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"



Ian, I don't think it (route relations for eg scenic routes) is doc'ed
on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines

Or not that I can find. Sounds like a good approach, should it be on the
above page so people can be suitably inspired ?

David

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 09:17 +1100, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> Traditionally, I've seen these mapped as route relations
> 
> type=route
> route=road
> network=T
> ref=<number>
> 
> Where they are numbered tourist routes.  There are a fair few of them
> around, and this is documented on AU tagging guidelines page, I
> think..
> 
> Ian.
> 
> On 8 November 2012 08:47, David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net>
> wrote:
>         
>         
>         Yep, good idea Wil. I don't see anything obvious in Map
>         Features,
>         http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features you really
>         have two
>         choices, define your own or start a campaign to define a
>         suitable key.
>         First is easier, second will do a heap better job as if most
>         people do
>         it the same way, its going to be easier to find entries. If
>         you go for
>         the roll your own solution, do doc it in the Australian page
>         so local
>         people can at least follow you example.
>         
>         I think its something you add to a road, so maybe its -
>         
>         highway=*
>         tourism=scenic_route
>         .....
>         
>         However, most of the things defined under tourism
>         http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tourism are really POI
>         like, does
>         that mean they should not be applied to a linear thing ?
>         
>         David
>         
>         
>         On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 23:32 +1030, wil ly wrote:
>         > Hi all,
>         >
>         > I have an angle for updating OSM. I want to find a file of
>         all scenic
>         > drives. The ones sign posted with brown signs that you see
>         when
>         > driving. For all my Googling, I can't seem to find a map or
>         a file of
>         > these. It would be good to tag all such roads in OSM so it's
>         easy to
>         > plan scenic trips.
>         >
>         > I want to do this so I can discover more nice parts of
>         Queensland.
>         >
>         > Wil
>         
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Talk-au mailing list
>         > Talk-au at openstreetmap.org
>         > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>         
>         
>         
>         _______________________________________________
>         Talk-au mailing list
>         Talk-au at openstreetmap.org
>         http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
> 





------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:15:34 +1100
From: Russell Edwards <russell at edwds.net>
To: <talk-au at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [talk-au] scenic routes
Message-ID: <36599ebe6f20f074016d2f2a17112aff at edwds.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

I guess for copyright reasons you would actually need to go and read 
the street signs instead of tagging out of a copyrighted book or file?

Russell

On 2012-11-08 00:02, wil ly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an angle for updating OSM. I want to find a file of all scenic
> drives. The ones sign posted with brown signs that you see when
> driving. For all my Googling, I can't seem to find a map or a file of
> these. It would be good to tag all such roads in OSM so it's easy to
> plan scenic trips.
>
> I want to do this so I can discover more nice parts of Queensland.
>
> Wil




------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 14:12:11 +1100
From: Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com>
To: David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net>
Cc: wil ly <rednorth at gmail.com>, talk-au at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [talk-au] scenic routes
Message-ID:
	<CALDa4YLDvc9++KVBud960gESNZPjokabmQMGqiXWeDZf7hZFCw at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

On 8 November 2012 11:06, David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net> wrote:

>
>
> Ian, I don't think it (route relations for eg scenic routes) is doc'ed
> on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines
>
> Or not that I can find. Sounds like a good approach, should it be on the
> above page so people can be suitably inspired ?
>
>
It was on that page, hidden under non-alphanumeric highway shields.  I've
given it its own heading for added prominence, but feel free to do whatever
you can to make it findable.

Ian.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/attachments/20121108/0133f225/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 15:01:16 +1000
From: wil ly <rednorth at gmail.com>
To: Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com>
Cc: talk-au at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [talk-au] scenic routes
Message-ID:
	<CAAziZWTfPSGQ1647SVGQGV8mq7NUVAsDBfTLB+UE2wHPzvOpGA at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi guys,

I have discovered, finally, a couple of resources for tourist drives (as
indicated by numbered brown signs).

1. DERM's physical roads dataset dated 28/9/2010 has a TOURNUM field, but
this only seems to contain a few tourist drives: 1, 5, 8, 9, 10, 16, 22,
23, 42, 43, 99, LA and z (the last two I suspect are not named correctly).

2. RACQ's trip planner:
http://www.racq.com.au/travel/drive_travel/trip_planner#directions:route/Kuranda/Mareeba/Tolga/Malanda-Atherton_Road_East_Barron_/Yungaburra/Malanda/Millaa_Millaa/PALMERSTON,_QUEENSLAND/Innisfail

This has a button top left (right most button) to toggle tourist drives. I
am not sure if these are official tourist drives (are there such things -
does the government decide on them, and what level of government?), but
it's a start. I'm just wondering if there's an automated method to extract
these features from their web map. I sent RACQ an email asking for the
data, who knows how that will go.

Still looking for a definitive source of tourist drive dataset.

Let me know if you find anything.

Wil
On 8 November 2012 13:12, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 November 2012 11:06, David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Ian, I don't think it (route relations for eg scenic routes) is doc'ed
>> on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines
>>
>> Or not that I can find. Sounds like a good approach, should it be on the
>> above page so people can be suitably inspired ?
>>
>>
> It was on that page, hidden under non-alphanumeric highway shields.  I've
> given it its own heading for added prominence, but feel free to do whatever
> you can to make it findable.
>
> Ian.
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/attachments/20121108/f52632ad/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
Talk-au at openstreetmap.org
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au


End of Talk-au Digest, Vol 65, Issue 14
***************************************
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/attachments/20121108/35c277f9/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Talk-au mailing list