[talk-au] tagging 4WD and dirt roads - I give up.

Andrew Gregory andrew.gregory at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:00:30 GMT 2012

On 13 November 2012 17:38, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I may have expressed my concerns, but I very much encourage others to
> voice their thoughts.

OK :-)

I've been quietly watching the back-and-forth. My opinion (and mapping
usage) is that smoothness= and surface= offer the simplest and best way of
describing the road condition and its suitably for use with all sorts of
vehicles, not just 4wd.

In terms of legal requirements (something which I admit I hadn't really
thought of), someone else mentioned the use of access=. To me that would
fit well with the established use of access=, it's just that there doesn't
seem to be any sort of
convention that relates to 4wd.

For rendering, no surface= or surface=asphalt/concrete/paved would produce
the current rendering. Any other surface= would produce a dashed
line/casing. To me that's a relatively simple distinction that would be
more appealing to those maintaining the renderers.

--
Andrew