[talk-au] Tagging dirt and 4x4 roads - new approach

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.com.au
Sun Nov 25 02:39:35 GMT 2012

I missed most of this discussion - been away on holidays - so I'm
getting in a bit late

Anyway, some thoughts:

* Firstly, David, I appreciate the effort in trying to unify the
4wd/surface/tracktype tag set to make it a little more coherent

* The track type and smoothness tags are in my opinion useless tags.
What kind of surface do I expect if the smoothness is "very bad" and the
tracktype of "grade4"? Both are very subjective, and the smoothness tag
in particular is a terrible set of options. The track type page even
says it is really only for rough classification.

* The surface tag I can, in principle, get behind, although I think it
is missing a few values that would be useful in Australia. However...

* Unpaved roads are difficult to really classify the surface in terms of
anything other than dirt/sand/rock. The surface state changes over time
from smooth immediately after grading, to possibly deep
ruts/corrugations/mud after rain and wear. In this case, my personal
opinion would be to use some sort of tag like surface condition (options
being something like: maintained | uneven | degraded | corrugated |
rocky | rutted | deep_rutted, but even those change immediately after
track maintenance), with perhaps a best/worst case tag or similar

* One area of 4WD/dirt road tagging not discussed (unless I missed it)
was inclines. Some sections of the bush tracks in AU are very steep, and
the only way up then is in low range. Knowing that there are
particularly steep sections of a road visually on a map is also pretty
crucial

* Seasonal closures still don't seem to be cleanly supported (there's a
dry weather only tag, but that is both subjective, and different to
gated public roads that are closed between June and October)

* Overall, it seems like Australia has both the special conditions
requiring some extensions to the current 4WD/dirt road mapping data and
the active mapping community to back it up. I don't see why we shouldn'
agree on a handful of tagging rules for the AU conditions on this list
and use them (assuming that they are well thought out etc). Document
them nicely so the rest of the world can take them up, and make the
rendering changes etc ourselves (how hard can a casing change be in the
renderer? If we can do it an submit it to the trac system...)

On a slightly tangential note, I've even managed to find a paved road
with a legal access restriction to 4WD only vehicles... in Italy of all
places. Access to the lower part of the town of Torno on Lake Como (just
north of Como itself) is restricted to residents with a specific permit,
and to 4WD vehicles only. The reason for this is that about 120 metres
of the road (which ordinarily is pedestrian only) is steps (not huge
steps, but about 150 steps nevertheless). There were also width
restrictions - a Fiat Panda 4x4 would just squeeze between some of the
buildings provided you folded in the wing mirrors... (here's the road
<http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=via+Plinio,+Torno,+Como,+Italy&aq=&sll=45.857214,9.11431&sspn=0.003336,0.008256&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Via+Plinio,+Torno,+Como,+Lombardia,+Italy&ll=45.857268,9.114404&spn=0.006643,0.016512&t=m&z=17>
- there's no street view, but there's a panoramio photo)

Matt