[talk-au] Historical rail lines

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.com.au
Mon Nov 26 08:31:07 GMT 2012

Admin boundaries are a slightly different thing - they may be intangible
on the ground, but they are also current. We don't keep historical
versions of admin boundaries either

The problem with the historical thing is that to my mind, it is a
slippery slope. There's a park near me that is currently, well, a park.
But I know that it was previously a quarry, and then a rubbish
tip/landfill, cos there is a sign saying so. But I certainly wouldn't
tag the parks as a quarry or landfill, because it isn't. It's a park....

Ditto with historical names. Piera St in East Brunswick was originally
named Nicholas St, and Jenkin St was Baden St in 1936. No idea why they
were changed - confusion with other more major streets nearby I guess -
but there is no sign of the old name on the ground. Yeah - I know there
is a fixed historical name tag I can set, but even then I wonder about
it. It's not like anyone in the street ever called it that (which is
possibly different to something like Whitehorse Road in Nunawading,
which I think is technically now Maroondah Highway, but Whitehorse is
the historical name that is still in use)

What we really need is a better storage model - the simple one we use
just isn't up to the task for this kind of data. It barely copes with
teh actual "on-the-ground" info as it is. Remember segments, anyone?

Matt