[talk-au] dirt roads - a summary

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 03:08:18 BST 2012

On 23 October 2012 11:09, David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net> wrote:

> 2. Ian likes the idea that tracks or unsealed roads can be marked
> 4x4_only=no if someone has done a survey and decided that's appropriate.
> Particularly in places where there may be some assumption that the tracks
> are often pretty tough. I am not completely convinced

This is OSM.  A missing tag can mean that someone has considered it
and decided the default value is appropriate, or it can mean that no
one has cast their mind to it.

Where there is a possibility of confusion, or something out of the
ordinary, then I tag and leave notes for future mappers, so they can
improve on it.  I think this is Good Mapping, and at worst Does No
Harm.  If you think it is too, then do the same.  If you don't, then
don't, it isn't compulsory.   Just don't remove tags others consider
useful (unless, of course, they are factually wrong).

Ian.