[talk-au] surface tag

Andrew Laughton laughton.andrew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:05:54 BST 2012

Hi People

Sorry if this has already been stated, I have not mapped since the
licence change and I am only reading some emails.

I my humble opinion, surface=unpaved should not be used.
surface=paved should only be used is the surface is literally paved
with brick, bluestone, cobblestone, whatever.
surface=asphalt should be used for asphalt or bitumen.
surface=gravel should be used for gravel roads.
surface=dirt should be used if there is no surface covering, the track
has been literally made out of whatever the ground is made out of.
Think fire breaks.
surface=sand where there is no surface covering, but the ground is
sand or very sandy.
surface=concrete for concrete bike or walking tracks.
surface=wood for wooden walkways, jetty's and so forth.

I even have a faint memory of using surface=grass, where the track was
very overgrown, but too many tags might not be so good for rendering
machines.

I do not think I ever used it, but I think there is a smoothness tag
which might be worth some research if you are worried about a track
falling between 4x4_only=[recommended; yes;no].
The 4x4_only tag might be better left to legal definitions set by rangers.

As well as a speed_limit tag, thought should be given to a speed_avg tag.
Some roads might have a legal speed limit of 100 kmh, but you can be
lucky to get out of second gear because of the rough road surface, or
even heavily used roads that are normally very crowded, and the
average speed is actually not very fast.
The speed_avg tag would be handy for routing engines.

My 2 cents worth.

Andrew.