[talk-au] surface tag

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 00:20:30 BST 2012

On 24 October 2012 08:05, Andrew Laughton <laughton.andrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> I my humble opinion, surface=unpaved should not be used.
> surface=paved should only be used is the surface is literally paved
> with brick, bluestone, cobblestone, whatever.

I think, regardless of the validity of your argument, that this horse
has well and truly bolted.

> I even have a faint memory of using surface=grass, where the track was
> very overgrown, but too many tags might not be so good for rendering
> machines.

I really like the two level tags.  Like natural=water, water=bay.  Or
surface=unpaved, unpaved=gravel

This allows a basic parser to make some sense of what is there, and
those who care about the detail can drill down.  This is the
documented method with some tags, but not with others, such is the
nature of the beast.

Ian.