[talk-au] [Imports] Importing locality names from GeoScience Australiadataset.

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Sat Oct 27 10:18:11 GMT 2012

May I suggest one reason why OSM shows so many less localities than
officially listed by Geoscience ?

A very large number of localities really have nothing to identifty
them on site. Maybe a building or two, perhaps a church but in many
cases, just a cross road. Not even a sigh to say where you are. No OSM
mapper is going to plot such locations and, I'd suggest, its probably
appropriate that they don't.

A lot of the locations are towns that only existed for a short time
and many are ones that never existed, or existed just in the mind of a
planner.

So the real question might be should such anachronisms find their way
into OSM ?

David