[talk-au] Newcastle Inner Bypass - Motorway or not ?

Nilbog_Aus OSM nilbog_aus_osm at nilbogcave.com
Sat Jun 1 05:29:40 UTC 2013

On 01/06/2013, at 2:33 PM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:

On 1 June 2013 09:29, Michael James <m.james at internode.on.net> wrote:

> There is a legal difference between a divided highway and a freeway in
> Australia, so if it is not actually called a freeway/motorway via
> signage then it really isn't one.

Firstly, I'm a little sceptical of there actually being a "legal"
difference.   Can you point to a source that would make this clear?

Not that I'm sure we should use it but I think they are usually gazetted by
state government
eg NSW
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/ra199373/s48.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=Freeway

Any state that has laws prohibiting access to certain groups (eg
pedestrians) to freeways needs a legal definition. I'm pretty sure most
states and countries that have freeways limit access.