[talk-au] Newcastle Inner Bypass - Motorway or not ?

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 05:17:45 UTC 2013

On 1 June 2013 15:29, Nilbog_Aus OSM <nilbog_aus_osm at nilbogcave.com> wrote:

> Not that I'm sure we should use it but I think they are usually gazetted
> by state government
> eg NSW
> http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/ra199373/s48.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=Freeway
>
> Any state that has laws prohibiting access to certain groups (eg
> pedestrians) to freeways needs a legal definition.

I'm pretty sure most states and countries that have freeways limit access.

A quick search of the NSW gazette shows many instances of freeways being
"gazetted" by the RMS.

On 1 June 2013 19:55, Michael James <m.james at internode.on.net> wrote:

> The Australian road rules (on which each states rules are based) :-

Any sign that has the following is considered a freeway :-

> freeway
> motorway
> tollway
> expressway

Yes, RR177 seems to define a freeway, making the rules self-contained.  All
that is required by this definition is to have the sign in place - no
reference to any external definition or "gazetting".

It is made more interesting, by the RMS road classification document not
identifying main roads as freeways or otherwise, stating that it is a
matter for their real-estate division.

So, it looks like we have several options for test for what type of road
should be represented by an OSM motorway tag in NSW.  The ones I can think
of are:

1. Indicated by an 'M' in the route reference.

2. Indicated by a "Start Freeway/Motorway" sign.

3. Gazetted as a freeway.

4. Constructed to a engineering freeway standard according to the NSW RMS.

5. A controlled access dual carriageway road with at least two lanes in
each carriageway.

6. A consensus among editors that the road should be represented in OSM as
a motorway.

7. A combination of the above.

Personally, I've changed my mind with each contribution to the discussion
I've made (so I should just leave the discussion now, but here goes..)

I like the objectivity and remote mapping capability of just using the
route reference as an identifier.   I don't like the thought of referring
to the gazette.  I like the possibility that if a freeway conditions are
indicated by a sign, then we can map them as freeways we well as just 'M'
roads.  I don't like identifying sections of the Hume south of Berrima as
different than north, when to all intents and purposes the driving
conditions are identical.

If I had to make a call, I'd say that either a 'M' in the route reference
OR a 'Start freeway/motorway' sign, both deserve a motorway tag.  This
gives us something objective.  Unfortunately, I think that means large
sections of the Hume, and the Newcastle link road go to trunk.

Ian.