[talk-au] JOSM uploads past 2000 points

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Tue Jun 25 03:24:56 UTC 2013

> Hi
>
> I am all to aware of the 2000 node limit with OSM but when using JOSM to
> create lakes as multipolygons from multiple ways it is easier to create
> the ways, link them a multipolygon relationship, tag properties and
> upload. JOSM then creates a change set and gives five tries and fails so
> if you hit upload again it tries again. Strangely if I use Polatch 2 to
> check I nearly always find the lake is added to OSM. On at least one
> occasion JOSM uploaded the lake more than once. In fact five times. I
> have to exit JOSM and restart it to avoid the changeset wanting to
> endlessly upload,

Rather than restarting josm:

Upload->Changesets->Upload to a new Changeset

The old changeset will time out and you can upload to new changeset(s)
from there on.

> Has anyone else experienced this issue. Reading on the web suggests this
> is a common problem with some claiming a configuration setting in JOSM
> can eliminate this issue.

Don't know about a config setting but if you have the Selection panel
open on the right hand side of the window, then select the object it
will tell you how many nodes are used by it.  It is then a simple matter
to split (Tools->Split Way) the way into two (or more) pieces.  If its a
loop way then select two (or more) nodes on opposite sides and then
split it.

If you do the split after adding all the tags or creating the
multipolygon they are copied to the new way.

Cheers
Ross