[talk-au] surface=unsealed in 4wd/dirt road tagging

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 01:18:13 UTC 2013

Hi,

I know we had some discussion over 4wd/dirt road tagging.

This ended up in the wiki as a recommendation to use

surface=unsealed

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/surface=unsealed

I really can't see a significant reason here not to stick with

surface=unpaved

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/surface=unpaved

When it is so much more likely to used, and therefore so much more likely
to be rendered, navigated, etc.  There are the other surface=* tags that
can be used if more specific information is available, but surface=unsealed
is obscure to no benefit IMO.

If there are no objections, I'll update the wiki.

Thanks,
Ian.