[talk-au] surface=unsealed in 4wd/dirt road tagging (Ian Sergeant)

Li Xia lisxia1982 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 23:29:05 UTC 2013


Agreed, unpaved is also the industry standard term in Aus, used by
GeoScience, various state govs etc and having it defined in the wiki will
be great.

Li.


On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM, <talk-au-request at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Send Talk-au mailing list submissions to
>         talk-au at openstreetmap.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         talk-au-request at openstreetmap.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         talk-au-owner at openstreetmap.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Talk-au digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Electric grid - how to tag (Mark Pulley)
>    2. Re: Electric grid - how to tag (David Bannon)
>    3. Re: Electric grid - how to tag (Mark Pulley)
>    4. surface=unsealed in 4wd/dirt road tagging (Ian Sergeant)
>    5. Re: surface=unsealed in 4wd/dirt road tagging (David Bannon)
>    6. iPhone, XP Professional and JOSM (Brett Russell)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 10:20:54 +1000
> From: Mark Pulley <mrpulley at lizzy.com.au>
> To: OSM - Talk-au <Talk-au at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: [talk-au] Electric grid - how to tag
> Message-ID: <A4CDB29A-0DE9-40C2-82DD-C0675C7F941C at lizzy.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I'm tagging an 'electric grid' on the way into Finke Gorge National Park
> (Northern Territory). It has the same function as a normal grid, but rather
> than being made of metal bars, it has several electrified wires (same wires
> as used in electric fences), placed across the track, raised a couple of
> centimetres above the track by insulating material on both sides of the
> track.
>
> I was thinking:
>
> barrier=cattle_grid
> electric=yes
>
> Any suggestions for alternate tags? There is a tag "electrified=yes", but
> on the wiki this is used to mark electrified railways.
>
> Mark P.
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/attachments/20130629/64699e89/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 10:35:33 +1000
> From: David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net>
> To: talk-au at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [talk-au] Electric grid - how to tag
> Message-ID: <51CE2BD5.6090009 at internode.on.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"
>
>
> Mark, 99% of the times electrification=yes is used, it has railway=
> there as well. Can we assume any rendering would look for the railway=
> tag first ?  I mean to say that no one 'should' assume electrification=
> applies only to railways ?
>
> So,
> barrier=cattle_grid
> electrification=yes
>
> would seem good to me.
>
> By the way, never seen a grid like you describe, it goes across the road
> ? And you drive over it ?
>
> david
>
> On 29/06/13 10:20, Mark Pulley wrote:
> > I'm tagging an 'electric grid' on the way into Finke Gorge National
> > Park (Northern Territory). It has the same function as a normal grid,
> > but rather than being made of metal bars, it has several electrified
> > wires (same wires as used in electric fences), placed across the
> > track, raised a couple of centimetres above the track by insulating
> > material on both sides of the track.
> >
> > I was thinking:
> >
> > barrier=cattle_grid
> > electric=yes
> >
> > Any suggestions for alternate tags? There is a tag "electrified=yes",
> > but on the wiki this is used to mark electrified railways.
> >
> >
> > Mark P.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Talk-au mailing list
> > Talk-au at openstreetmap.org
> > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/attachments/20130629/b1bf5a65/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 10:51:44 +1000
> From: Mark Pulley <mrpulley at lizzy.com.au>
> To: OSM - Talk-au <talk-au at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [talk-au] Electric grid - how to tag
> Message-ID: <FDA07ADD-5607-4696-A619-0C92B0A82F68 at lizzy.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> On 29/06/2013, at 10:35 AM, David Bannon wrote:
>
> > Mark, 99% of the times electrification=yes is used, it has railway=
> there as well. Can we assume any rendering would look for the railway= tag
> first ?  I mean to say that no one 'should' assume electrification= applies
> only to railways ?
> >
> > So,
> > barrier=cattle_grid
> > electrification=yes
> >
> > would seem good to me.
>
> Sounds OK to me.
>
> > By the way, never seen a grid like you describe, it goes across the road
> ? And you drive over it ?
>
>
> Yes to both questions. It's at the entrance to the national park, but as
> the track is in an intermittent river bed a normal grid or a gate won't
> work.
>
> Mark P.
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/attachments/20130629/583e215a/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:18:13 +1000
> From: Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com>
> To: OSM - Talk-au <Talk-au at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: [talk-au] surface=unsealed in 4wd/dirt road tagging
> Message-ID:
>         <CALDa4YJ-dtEhG9xk-dMCM=Y7btpZpHeA0sO_qOLoidMQ=
> QvKXA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hi,
>
> I know we had some discussion over 4wd/dirt road tagging.
>
> This ended up in the wiki as a recommendation to use
>
> surface=unsealed
>
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/surface=unsealed
>
> I really can't see a significant reason here not to stick with
>
> surface=unpaved
>
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/surface=unpaved
>
> When it is so much more likely to used, and therefore so much more likely
> to be rendered, navigated, etc.  There are the other surface=* tags that
> can be used if more specific information is available, but surface=unsealed
> is obscure to no benefit IMO.
>
> If there are no objections, I'll update the wiki.
>
> Thanks,
> Ian.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/attachments/20130629/00c8870c/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 18:02:59 +1000
> From: David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net>
> To: Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com>
> Cc: OSM - Talk-au <Talk-au at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [talk-au] surface=unsealed in 4wd/dirt road tagging
> Message-ID: <1372492979.5823.4.camel at Davo-LT>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
>
> Ian, at the time, someone, I am not sure who, preferred 'unsealed'
> arguing that unpaved did not mean the same thing. Roads can be sealed in
> ways that do not really mean paved.
>
> Personally, I did not care, being more interested in getting it
> documented so we all used the same tag. However, now, looking at the
> numbers, I have to say that 'unpaved' would be seriously preferable !
>
> So, my vote, change it.
>
> David
>
>
> On Sat, 2013-06-29 at 11:18 +1000, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know we had some discussion over 4wd/dirt road tagging.
> >
> > This ended up in the wiki as a recommendation to use
> >
> > surface=unsealed
> >
> > http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/surface=unsealed
> >
> >
> > I really can't see a significant reason here not to stick with
> >
> > surface=unpaved
> >
> > http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/surface=unpaved
> >
> >
> > When it is so much more likely to used, and therefore so much more
> > likely to be rendered, navigated, etc.  There are the other surface=*
> > tags that can be used if more specific information is available, but
> > surface=unsealed is obscure to no benefit IMO.
> >
> >
> >
> > If there are no objections, I'll update the wiki.
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ian.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Talk-au mailing list
> > Talk-au at openstreetmap.org
> > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 21:31:02 +1030
> From: Brett Russell <brussell237 at live.com.au>
> To: OSM Australia mailing list <talk-au at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: [talk-au] iPhone, XP Professional and JOSM
> Message-ID: <SNT130-W23F37FEC9D4A4AF22086FCAF770 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hi
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has struck problems using JOSM on XP
> Professional connected to the internet by a iPhone hotspot under Bluetooth
> or direct usb cable.  What happens with me is the internet connection drops
> out and eventually after a few disconnects and reconnects the iPhone and
> computer stop acknowledging each other until you kill JOSM.  Then they talk.
>
> My normal computer runs Windows 7 and works well, well as Windows and Asus
> laptap can work.  The older XP laptop is ok until I run JOSM.
>
> More curious if anyone else has struck the same problem.
>
> Cheers
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/attachments/20130629/a0882886/attachment.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-au mailing list
> Talk-au at openstreetmap.org
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>
>
> End of Talk-au Digest, Vol 72, Issue 20
> ***************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/attachments/20130701/5f82e44f/attachment.html>


More information about the Talk-au mailing list