[talk-au] Geoscience NATMAP 250K Topo Maps

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Nov 15 09:32:18 UTC 2013

> From: Andrew Harvey [mailto:andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [talk-au] Geoscience NATMAP 250K Topo Maps
>
> > We'd have to get confirmation that data source was happy with
> > attribution in accordance with ODbL sections 4.2 and 4.3 which are
> > "keep intact any copyright or Database Right notices" or "a notice
> > associated with the Produced Work reasonably calculated to make any
> > Person that uses, views, accesses, interacts with, or is otherwise
> > exposed to the Produced Work aware that Content was obtained from the
> [the datasource]"
>
> That is a pity. The fact that OSM can't accept CC BY licensed works is
> reminding me why I stopped contributing to OSM many months ago...

If taken literally CC BY's attribution requirements are very onerous.
Creative Commons themselves appears to recognize this and the 4.0 drafts
have much more reasonable attribution language, more in line with the ODbL.

Even under CC BY-SA there were some data providers who felt that the
conventional attribution methods for web maps were insufficient and we
still couldn't use CC BY data without confirmation.

I believe when CC 4.0 comes out its attribution will be compatible with ODC
attribution, so we'll finally stop having to deal with the CC attribution
flaws.