[talk-au] vicmap data licensing

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 22:43:52 UTC 2013

I see there are two ways we can approach this.  One is to make the
data available in OSM form.  People can use information to
trace/import to complete the map as they go about their daily mapping.

Secondly, we can have a complete plan as to how we import bits that we
know come from good sources and should complement/replace existing OSM
data.

If we import LGA and postcodes, we immediately need to consider things
like what happens when these align with coastlines, or with each
other, or with suburb boundaries?  Probably other things too.

Worst case is, as has been done on some occasions in the past, is for
the import to be done and to leave hundreds of thousands of "fixmes"
scattered around the country.

Ian.