[talk-au] Openstreetmap Quality Issues

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 00:30:34 UTC 2013

Hi Neil,
I think the way to get this fixed permanently could be...

Fix it one more time, re-add the note saying that the imagery is out of
date and that this intersection has been surveyed.
Change the source tag from nearmap to survey.

Now even though one of the mnappers has a fairly colourful history of edit
wars and non response to polite messages, it may be useful to send both of
them a message pointing out that you have actually surveyed the area and
that the Bing imagery is out of date. You could send links to the Google
map sattelite view that shows the new layout and also the Google street
view that shows the old layout.

I guess that it's possible (but not likely) that the local council have
decided that what they originally had was better and have resealed the
parts that were removed.  You could check whether the latest mapper
actually surveyed it or just traced it from imagery.
I also think it would be nice if all edit software flashed up a warning
(once per session) if you change an object that has a "survey" tag. This
warning would disappear on the next click but may serve to give the mapper
second thoughts as to whether his changes are for the better or not.

Nick