[talk-au] City of Melbourne data imports

Leon Kernan lkernan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 09:38:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Daniel O'Connor <daniel.oconnor at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If they have the data, building footprints are also pretty neat.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geelong_Building_Import is one I did a
> few months ago - some of the geospatial team there are dead keen on open
> data and would no doubt be happy to talk with their melbourne counterparts
> as well

Yes, this would be great.  For people who've never seen it, check out
Geelong on http://demo.f4map.com and you can see how big building data is
going to be.

I believe some building imports are going to be essential at the start.
It's just too tedious for anyone to do large areas, even badly.
I'm working though placing basic building areas in Frankston, Seaford and
across parts of Northern Tasmania and it's just a massive task. That's not
even going into a lot of detail or adding data like height like the Geelong
data.

My hope is that by placing the basic areas down, people might find it a
little easier to add details to them later on.