[talk-au] Railways

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 22:06:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Matt White <mattwhite at iinet.net.au> wrote:

>  This particular thing really annoys me. Fair enough if the track is still
> in place - go nuts mapping it - but there are "disused" rail lines marked
> up even when the track hasn't been in place for 30 years, and it's only an
> historical curiosity. See the Inner Circle railway in Melbourne for
> example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-37.78015/144.97908

I've been tempted to nuke this "disused" railway for ages, especially as
> the current path doesn't actually reflect where it even use to run with any
> accuracy.
>
> Hi Matt,
  Didn't we (or maybe it was someone else) argue about this a year or two
ago? Please don't nuke it. There are lots of physical traces of the former
railway present, like platforms, pieces of rail, stations, infrastructure
like a former electrical substation, etc.

I don't know what you mean by "only an historical curiosity". It is of
historical interest to many people, and is as real and concrete as other
historical ruins.

If you think the current geometry is inaccurate, please improve it if
possible.

Thanks,
Steve